Friday 27 May 2011

All Good Things Come to an End

 Thursday May 5:  It was really unfortunate that I had to leave to early only for an hour, only to be tired for the rest of the day. So I Just caught up on everything. Although, Michael Wolters and I finally got the records packaged up and sent for home. Before when I weighed them all on their own it was 20.1 kg, although when the box, and the stuffing added it was way over so we had to take out about 20 records to fit the limit. For the 20kg it was €63, which actually is not that bad of a price. The rest Michael and I would split in our suitcases (as he was coming back to Canada). Woohoo!


Friday May 6: I biked to school for the end of class to give one last goodbye with them. They were all very warm and welcoming and wished me all the best back and to keep in touch.  The new guy Albert I had met a little bit before asked if I was heading to the Centrum so I biked with him. He is actually the drummer in a band back home from Spain called Up With The Mess and they are really good! They’ve been in awards shows back home and have played around Europe. They’d love it get to North America and I told them I’d do my best to see if I can help them with contacts. So anyone knows of any, it would be amazing if they could inform me!!

Later that evening, I had tickets for the Roncalli Circus (which was not cheap). I was going to go with Elke although; she was busy with something else so she asked her son Alexander to join me. I couldn’t believe I was actually going to a circus! The only other time I’ve been to one was a tiny one in Parry Sound when I was really little. Why am I so fascinated with the culture of circus; the tents, the costumes, the tricks and acrobatics?! It consisted of horses and human acrobatics, and boy, was it so impressive; I was wide-eyed and gasping the whole time. They  were vaulting on horses (galloping on the horse while standing  and doing tricks), had trained the horses to separate from black and white, and a whole lot of unbelievable strength that these performers had in all the incredible stunts they did, like women doing head stands on the others head.  Wow!



 

Well once it had finished I headed back to the U-bahn (subway) but I saw a message from a classmate that there was already Rhein in Flammen celebration at the Rheinau park going on (all weekend), which is what I was torn between to go to on Saturday.  I could have taken a bus on a subway there but decided just to walk along the Rhein. Things were starting to close up as I arrived there (and the friend who had told me about it had already gone home).  There was a concert going on and I asked someone who was playing, and was shocked to know it was someone from the Genesis. It was Paul Carrack and Ray Wilson, so it was great to hear songs I knew (when I had no idea about it). There were many booths and rides. One thing though, is I did pump into one of the IFS people. I didn’t know him very well, since he was older and in a different class, but that was still nice that I saw him. Although, soon after that, they shut everything down at midnight so I went home.
 

Saturday May 7: I was torn all day of what to do. The day before, new friend Albert had invited me to go vintage shopping in Koln although those plans got cancelled. Then I was still torn between whether to go to Phillip Wolter’s birthday and to around the family friends I know, or to see if I could meet up with some from school although there wasn’t a huge chance to get everyone all together. Well, later it was decided that I would come with Elke, so I drove with her to Aachen to Phillip and Ursula’s apartment (which I had earlier in my trip had helped them move in). Everyone was obviously German, so I small talked, (well everyone knows English). Although, one of the family friends had stopped me every time I’d speak to him in English so I’d practice. At some times, I felt a little out of place, and had slipped away to try playing on their piano. I was glad I went because it was always a goodbye for me (although not the end).

Sunday May 8: Today was packing day. Got up in good time to get the rest of my baggage I had left at the room I had rented. So I had spent most of the afternoon fitting everything and measuring the weight. In all, I got most of it in (so there was just a few books left that Elke said she would bring back in her luggage when she was coming back to visit Canada).  I had asked a few of my classmates from school if they were interested in coming with me for dinner and in all, 3 of the girls could. I told them to meet in the Bonn Centrum and then we would decide on a place. We decided on a place you could sit outside since it was really warm. I had a lovely pasta dish with salmon. After a couple hours of chatting and talking with Prilly, Chae Jin, and Gloria, they had to get going since they had chores and class in the morning. I decided to walk along the Rhein one last time back home. With a little left of packing, my bags were stuffed and ready. I cannot believe my time here has come and gone. Yes, I am happy to come back home, but it is also sad. It did go by fast, and once you get adjusted, it seems to fly by.

The Last Supper with Lovely Friends; Gloria, Chae Jin (CJ), and Prilly


Overall, I can say my trip there was educational. Yes, I can kick myself that I may not have learned or have studied or practiced as much as I could have, but I really did not give myself that much time there and so I had to balance out my exploring and study. I left there, to finally try on my own to learn the language my family and friends speak. It was also a learning experience for me on being along and making my own decisions. Kids rush into secondary so quickly and are unaware of what it is like to live out of the home. Now I have to say I wasn’t completely alone because I had the support of family friends but I still think it has taught me something, and believe that my transition from home to university will be a little bit smoother. I left with what I had left in my account from working in the summer, and have to say, did very well, with watching my money and keeping track in what was being spent (that is another thing kids need to learn). No, it was not a life changing experience but a healthy thing to do. Well, now it leaves another door, to go back and to see the things I didn’t see and to grow and be more familiar for the next times.
Until later, thank you all for your support and maybe you got something out of this. I am sure this is not the end of me, and possibly stay tuned.  Never dismiss the opportunity to learn new things, no matter the situation.
Until then, Sincerly,

Karli Zschogner

Man Biking in the Air!

It's A Marvelous Night for a Circus

Incredible Acrobatic Girls

Horse Vaulting

A Tight Fit!

Roncalli, the Travelling Circus



Caught The last bit of this!

Farewell!

Roncalli


No comments:

Post a Comment