Saturday 26 February 2011

First Few Days All Good

 <>
Up, up and Away!
Well the first day was all that not bad
But first of coarse had to open bags so re-cram some stuff because I knew I’d be over in some way but then find out my stuffed purse(back pack) was not aloud with carry on so had to go back again and transfer again to smaller bag and then pay extra $50 to add to check in luggage :(
Then waiting and waiting with mom until I get checked in at around 4 and so wait and send a few emails
Plane was awesome I´ve got to say..it kept me very occupied since you had your own personal TVs which had all the latest shows, movies and music and even basic learning language program games so i was distracted from screaming kids and snorting and coughing neighbouring seats
so plan ride went really quickly ending in no resting sleep including watching the eye opening 127 Hours ( moral of the story-ALWAYS inform someone of where you´re going, or else it´ll bite you back, like for the main character who had to drink his urine and mine away at shaving off his arm to survive) and more historical knowledge of King Henry VIII in The Other Boleyn Girl
Arrive in Amsterdam at 7am their time (1am  our time), really tired so just walk to the other end so to get to my gate and just wait
and then the next flight was a little of a surprise...for we get shuttled out on pavement to a smaller Cityhopper`jet so it made you feel all important or something since it was so small and `private`.
That was a short flight and Elke was awaiting my welcome with my 4 bags so it was off on the autobahn from Koln to Bonn
So now is just chill time at Elke´s as I force myself to stay awake after have been now very much lacking in sleep since the 21st

Tonight Elke´s son Alex is coming for dinner and tomorrow daughter Julia comes :)
The second day, I got to sleep in and after a wonderful breakfast with Elke, we did some shopping and went and visited my IFS school. It is a very cute old white building and we met with them and they told me the book i would have to buy and the possible rooms to rent. There are three options: a room in the school itself, a room at a teacher’s, or a sweet old lady (which I think I most prefer) but I will go look at them soon. Karnival is in the air.. the 1st part is on Wednesday and everyone dresses up like Halloween but there other traditions and a clown or jester is like the mascot. Once we got back to Elke's I baked a marzipan cake and then Julia came and we ate bratwurst and then Julia invited me to come back to Koln with her and help her brother Phillip move, so I got to re-meet with her flat mate Nadine

3rd day- After having a lovely breakfast with Julia and Nadine, we headed to Aachen to help Phillip and Ursula move into their new house/apartment down the road from their old one....well was i in for a surprise!! the outside is all beautifully carved wood of figurine and designs and when you walk in it is a beautiful chandelier and inside is a small actually like high ceiling "ballroom", and it’s all just an apartment.. yes it still needs a lot of TLC but it will be magnificent, with tiny spiral stairs and cute little washrooms and a beautiful little backyard!!! The funny thing is Philipp is VERY tall and it is really comfortable no bigger than 5 feet so he has to duck down for everything but it is all worth it!

3 comments:

  1. Glad you made it safe & sound, despite the tiredness. I was soooo excited for you when Eva told me your were going! This is going to be such an amazing experience for you - living in another culture and language will grow you in so many ways, it's hard to describe.

    Enjoy every moment!

    *hugs*

    Helene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea this blog. You are having the time of your life already! I am glad everything is going so well and you are only a stone's throw from Beatle historical places!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your support!!
    It's so great to hear!!

    ReplyDelete