Monday 11 April 2011

Linking School Classes with a Lovely Deutsche Welle Tour

Sitting In: Awesome!

Monday April 11: We worked on more Dativ sentence construction. It still isn’t making that much sense but I’m just thinking soon it will click. When we were done, it was very warm and a very-Tshirt-day. People were all out along the Rhein (as usual) and noticed more along the shore or just sleeping on the grass. I immediately took my work outside in the back yard only to realize the 
Editing with Gloria
 internet connection wasn’t working. After many more attempts to get it working there was no such luck so I had to bike over to Wolters since was on a schedule today.  I ended up having a nice lunch with Elke and then an Eis after (I had dark chocolate and a toffee kind). After that I buckled down for some hours until 7 working on school for fall stuff which was frustrating because I was not getting the answers I wanted. But then with lots of excitement and energy I biked back to mein Zimmer (room) to get changed because I was going to visit Deutsche Welle Broadcasting here in Bonn and which is actually located right near my school (this one is radio and website, the  
Editing Her Report
television part is located in Berlin)! This was only possible because of my lovely classmate Gloria from Portugal who is working there as an internship (and who I went to Xanten with). I am going to say out flat that the Portuguese are one of the loveliest and kindest peoples I’ve ever met, really! Well I met her outside the main doors and Vietal nach acht (8:15) and she let me inside and I had to sign in, show ID and get a visitor’s card. She showed me around and pointed out the areas as we went up to the Portuguese area where she works. As Deutsche Welle is broadcasted to many countries, (as it is Broadcasted around the world), many language departments are needed. Thus, natürlich, Gloria works for the Portuguese language department as a journalist. Their news is not only broadcasted to Portugal but to all the Portuguese speaking areas of the world including parts of Africa and Indonesia (African news is actually her main focus/task she is assigned to). She had to finish a specific report due which will be aired for the morning news, so I was happy to watch her finish editing her story. This particular story was about specific African rappers in Angola which talk about the political and economic issues and problems in their homeland and around the world. She explained that the maximum time the stories must be are 3 minutes so sometimes there is a lot of cutting and editing. And you know what the best part about all this is; is I do know what she was talking about! Thank you Mrs. Jenkins and her wonderful Comm Tech classes! It is absolutely fantastic to experience something you learned in school and to link it to the working world!! The program she was using for editing was older and I would definitely have to say working on Macs for editing was a whole lot better. Even though I did not understand what the dialogue was saying it was great to be able to give input for things such as fading things in and out and to be regular with dialogue changes so that once she was finished editing her story it was a masterpiece. For the 9:30 live broadcast news we were able to sit in on the broadcasting. First we sat in the technician’s 
Live in the Tech Booth
 booth where they are in charge of the changes, sound boards etc. Then to my excitement (when they were not on air at that moment) the reporters called us in to join them in their booth as they were on. The two reporters worked together and through cues with the tech board man the evening news was a success. One really interesting thing that they did as I we watched was as the one had asked at the beginning of the show that if anyone had any questions they could email them in and there on the stop, the other reporter would collect the mail coming in and on the last note, he read out the highlights. Everyone there was very friendly and warm and was interested in where I was from and why I was visiting there. It was such a wonderful experience going there and I feel that was #1 thing on my part for asking about visiting and for my future careers and interests! Woohoo!


Live Radio News

 
Sitting In


1 comment: